Sign language in South America (Chile specifically)

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Thu Aug 27 17:38:37 UTC 2009

Hi Adam,
    I know of a site that has a short video in several sign languages.
One being Chilean.  Take a look at http://watchtower.org/e/sign.htm .
There are other Chilean DVDs are listed that you can request at
http://watchtower.org/address/article_01.htm .
    There is also a lovely article about signlanguages that all
signlanguage lovers will enjoy viewing or listening to and it briefly
mentions the good reaction of deaf people to the DVDs in South America.
The link to the ASL version is w09 08/15-ASL_06
<http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQFVTrZNT&selLang=ASL&selMne=w>
It is also available in Colombian and Italian sign language.      The
audio versions of the same article 'Jehovah Has Made His Face Shine
Toward Them' can be found at  the following link
<http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQZRQVNZNT>in over 19 spoken
languages.  It's in the August 15th issue.
    I hope helps and  that you enjoy watching them.  They aren't
dictionaries  per say but being that the same information is published
in several languages  hopefully you can  figure out some of the signs.

Jonathan

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> July 23, 2009
>
> On Jul 23, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Adam Griffis wrote:
>> I am learning spanish, and hopefully will be teaching English in
>> Chile this coming year, but I was also interested in learning a
>> little about Sign Language. I was wondering where you would suggest I
>> go to learn about the sign language of Chile?
>> Adam Griffis
>

> ----------
>
> Hello Adam -
> Unfortunately, Chilean Sign Language is not one of the many sign
> languages we have written in SignWriting in SignPuddle Online, but you
> can visit SignPuddle to read signs from Paraguay and other sign
> languages in South America...
>
> SignPuddle Online
> http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle
>
> Does anyone know, here on the SignWriting List, any source of
> information on Chilean Sign Languages?
>
> I think, Adam, you will need to wait and when you arrive in Chile,
> contact members of the Deaf Community there, or contact a local
> language school or university, to inquire about taking sign language
> classes...that is your best bet -
>
> Val ;-)

> Change Email Settings

Jonathan Duncan