SignWriting in Canadian School

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Fri Aug 28 02:02:37 UTC 2009

Hi Val and everyone,

       You know that during two years, 11 Deaf students have been studying a
SW course from Monday to Friday for 30 minutes (30 minutes x 5 days). One
Deaf teacher is a difficulty to teach a SW course because there is a lack of
LSQ reading and writing materials or resources.  Do not forget that the Deaf
teacher has been teaching French, Math, science and SW courses.  She is easy
to prepare French, Math and Science because there is a plenty of these
materials. However, she is a hard time to prepare a SW course since she does
not have a time,

          This year, the Centre Jules Léger (school in Ontario, Canada)
accepts to offer a new LSQ course to Deaf students because one Deaf teacher
and I have been developing the document of LSQ curriculum from kindergarten
junior to grade 12th with the Ontario Ministry of Education.  This LSQ
curriculum has 3 parts: Sign communication, SW reading and SW writing.  One
Deaf teacher decides to teach "sometimes" (not everyday) SW reading and
writing and to teach mostly a sign communication because she doesn't have SW
reading and writing materials now.

       I am trying to work on developing a SW writing (handwriting).  It is
very obvious not to be standard a written SW now. I mean that I create my
own style of a written SW.  Then, I will give the document of a written SW
to one Deaf teacher who will teach how to handwrite a SW to Deaf students.

       Hand waving

      André