AW: AW: [sw-l] Print SignWriting Greeting Cards

Wed Dec 2 20:59:43 UTC 2009

Hi Ingvild and sw-list friends,

Thank you for your message. This can be the beginning of a general
discussion about what we are doing if we try to describe the performance of
a signer

So many aspects involved – what do I see? What makes a difference? Is it
necessary to be familiar with the given SL? Can I repeat the performance
exactly the same way? How many details are wanted? Spelling standards ...
spelling rule violations ... Who is the reader? ...

And now – how to express my idea of what is performed in SignWriting?
Writing for the informed reader or for just anybody?

In this case – I write just two fingerspelling handshapes almost at the same
place performed.    “j “ first and “d” afterwards.

I admit that I never saw Jonathan performing his name – so I guess it is
close to what is supposed to be standard .. J and  D

Your spelling is a different performance.

Of course there are other options to sign this – smile – and I understand
the point that this wrist – movement  would lead to some kind of expectation
that the next symbol should appear on the left. But this is simply a
fingerspelling-sequence coming one after the next.

In this case it is the spelling for a sign name -  it is written from left
to right  ... I still prefer writing horizontally more, ... if I do not use
SignPuddle – Software  -

especially if I prepare the documents for my students at school.

Stefan ;-)

  _____