ISWA 2008 and SWML

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Dec 28 15:58:29 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
December 28, 2009

Hi Reynaldo and Steve and everyone -
Thanks for your questions, Reynaldo...and thanks, Steve, for giving us
the criteria for programmers, when programming a way to create a
document in SignWriting...Steve mentions them below, such as writing
vertically in three lanes, and the fact that the program cannot allow
the Punctuation Symbols to be in the right or left lane...the
Punctuation, like a period or comma, always have to be in the Center
Lane, so that the reader knows where the center of the sentence
is...otherwise you cannot see which lane you are in...

So those kind of programming details are necessary for creating
programs for SignWriting that allow the user to compose documents in
vertical sentences...

The word "grammar" can also mean the grammer and syntax of each sign
language, having nothing to do with SignWriting, but simply the rules
of each language as to what is correct and what isn't...for example,
in American Sign Language there are grammar issues related to "Topic
Marker", facial adverbs and so forth...We do have a few articles that
describe how to write some of these ASL grammar points...Here are some
links if you are interested in articles about writing ASL grammar in
SignWriting...LIBRAS in Brazil might have a different grammar, so in
SignWriting, we just write it all and over time we are pinning down
what is important to write, and what is not:

Some ASL Grammar Articles on the Web, and how to write that in
SignWriting:

Writing ASL Grammar
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/grammar/

ASL Classifiers
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=529

ASL Conditionals
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=518

ASL Relative Clauses
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/searchword.php?ui=1&sgn=5&sid=514

and so forth...

Keep us informed about your new projects, Reynaldo...

And Happy New Year!

Val ;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help