SignWriting

Mon Dec 14 00:34:12 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
December 13, 2009

Hello Maher Jbeli!
Thank you for this message. I am posting my answer to the SignWriting
List, in case some of the list members might be able to help you too...

The sign for TEACHER or TUTOR is a combination of two signs, that make
one sign. The two signs are TEACH (A in your diagram), and the second
sign is PERSON (B in your diagram). Because readers know American Sign
Language already, when reading this we just know that it is TEACH and
then PERSON because the grammar of ASL has that configuration in other
signs too...so we assume knowledge of the language, so we did not have
to write too much detail to understand the sign...

But I believe your project is computer programming an avatar?
animation of a live figure using SignWriting? Do you know ASL
yourself? In the case of programming an avatar, you may need more
information than our daily writing of that sign...

Anyway, in this case, you read A first and B second...