Nominal vs Cardinal numbers in ASL

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 9 01:06:37 UTC 2009

On Feb 8, 2009, at 4:40 PM, SignWriting wrote:

> Grin...so in Arabic documents they use Hindu numbers instead of
> Arabic numbers - ha!

I know. Strange, huh!

> So let's number pages as we wish...each document can be done
> differently depending on the author, the layout artist, the
> publisher...and it is all ok...

I think that this is the best way to go. :-)

> Meanwhile there is nothing wrong with writing page numbers in a Sign
> Language too...they are useful tools for teaching to read numbers
> for beginning readers...which would be an argument for using the
> cardinal numbers for page numbers in ASL, since the cardinal version
> of ASL numbers are what most people know best...they know the
> nominal but they have not thought about it much and maybe it will
> seem more correct to do the first five numbers with the palm facing
> the chest...just a
> thought...
>
> Val ;-)

I would have to agree with you there. Most people haven't had the same
education in number systems as I have. While it is technically being
used in the nominal sense, the instinct is that it is cardinal. I
think that this is largely due to the fact that most languages don't
have a distinction between cardinal and nominal. :-)

Adam