Sign Puddle on Mobile Phones

Sat Feb 28 15:42:55 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
February 28, 2009

On Feb 28, 2009, at 6:51 AM, Bill Reese wrote:
> I was trying to show someone Sign Puddle on my Sidekick,
> specifically inputting a word in the dictionary lookup to show the
> sign.  When the search concluded, it showed the box for the sign and
> the spelling for the sign, but no sign.   I was curious what the
> difference was between showing the spelling for the sign and the
> sign itself so that one would show but the other wouldn't.

Bill -
That is not a feature...it sounds like something didn't work well at
that moment and the sign should have shown up and didn't for some
reason...

A Sidekick is a hand-held device, is that right? I have never seen
one, but I have heard of them...

Somehow the sign did not load into the box...on a desktop computer I
would say that could happen if you are using Internet Explorer, or if
you have a poor internet connection and it didn't load for some
reason...

Can you try searching for some more signs to see if the problem
continues with all searches?

As far as the SignSpelling Sequence data goes...that is when you want
to sort an entire dictionary, or a vocabulary list, and sort the list
by the symbols in SignWriting....what I call the Sign-Symbol-Sequence,
or the alphabetical order for the SignWriting Alphabet....When we put
in that SignSpelling Sequence data, the software knows how to sort
that one sign within a long list of signs...

You can see sorted signs in SignPuddle, by clicking on the "Search by
Symbol" button and searching for all of the signs in the dictionary
that use a certain symbol...Or click on Symbol Frequency to get such a
listing too...when the list of signs appears from the search, those
signs in that list are sorted by the alphabetical order of the
SignWriting Alphabet ;-))

Anyway, regarding the fact that your Sidekick did not display the sign
you searched for...let's ask Steve -

Steve - can you inform us what you think happened?...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help