Happy Birthday

Sun Feb 22 16:30:26 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
February 22, 2009

Hello Tini, Kim and Charles, and everyone!
Thank you for your birthday messages below...Very nice to receive the
well wishes...

I feel a little badly that I have not remembered everyone else's
birthdays...so a happy birthday to all of you too, even though it is
not your birthday today ;-)

I am glad to know you are still using DanceWriting, Tini!

And thanks for the message about the little article in the La Jolla
Light, Kim...I think the student writer did a good job, you are right
about that and I was impressed...I bet she will be a future
journalist...Her name is Spreeha...It is an Indian name (from
India)...and I enjoyed being interviewed for the article...there is
another version of the same article that was printed in the newspaper
itself, and that included one page from Adam Frost's "Why SignWriting"
document on the web, so I will be scanning in that printed article
later, to share with you...

I am working on a new textbook, to document the International
SignWriting Alphabet. This time I am just naming the book:

SignWriting

with a subtitle that says:

Sign Languages Are Written Languages!

And then I am going to write it in five parts:

Part 1: SignWriting Basics
a short summary of basic symbols that you all know

Part 2: Handshapes
all 200 handshapes, shown with photos of Adam Frost's hands, in 6 palm
facings, plus samples of signs that use the handshapes..thank you Adam
for the wonderful photos and animated GIFs!

Part 3: Movement Symbols
every detail of writing movement I can find from volumes of writing
around the world

Part 4: Face, Head and Body
same kind of detail but on Facial Expressions, Head Movement and the
torso and limbs...even showing how to write squatting down, which
exists in a South Pacific Sign Language...

Part 5: Sign Language Literature
teaching from beginning to end, how to write sentences and documents
and literature in SignWriting, and providing lots of reading material

Part 1 above is nothing new to any of you...it is just a quick summary
of basic symbols for people who are beginners and need an introduction
before referring to the other more advanced parts of the book...

I plan to publish these as five separate manuals, and then also put
them together into one large volume...

This will take time of course, but well worth it...

Thanks for all your participation all these years! It is because of
your writing that the above book is possible -

I am going out with my parents today...I am lucky to have them with me -

Have a great day, everyone!

Val ;-)

--------

---------