spelling question 30 - squeeze" motion...writing page numbers

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 15 19:12:28 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
January 15, 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 3:51 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> thank you for your responses. I think I was a bit confused about the
> need to keep numbers small in print. When I thing about it, the
> words 'tretti' etc. are not particularlily small - but then we tend
> to use the arabic numerals for writing numbers for paging etc.
> Sometime in the future these symbols may be available along with the
> SW symbols, as they were in the old DOS program. For now, I will go
> for the two handshapes writing in a text, and for number-by-number
> for marking pages etc (the signs 3 and 7 rather than the sign 37).
> How does that sound to you? Ingvild

That sounds fine, Ingvild!

You are right, that the formal spelling would be similar to spelling
out a word for a number in Norwegian "tretti", or "thirty" in
English...so the formal writing that is easy to read and is not
shortened is the "full sign"...

Page numbers are unique. First, you are right that a lot of spoken
languages use only Arabic numerals for page numbers, and of course we
can do that in SignWriting documents too...and we do all the time...

I did not place Arabic and Roman numbers or numerals in the
International SignWriting Alphabet because the ISWA was supposed to be
only SignWriting symbols, but I do add arabic numbers as page numbers
in my documents...

For example, in DocumentMaker we setup the standard layouts to include
a place for Arabic numerals on the bottom right of the page, and a
place for the SignWriting page number on the left corner of the
page...so we have both on one page...

Writing the SignWriting page numbers help people learn to read
SignWriting...because they look down and find themselves learning to
read the symbols quickly...that is why we started that tradition...

Our ASL page numbers are also quite abbreviated...like the number 11
and 12 only has the end position with double-dots...but the formal
writing is quite a bit bigger...

Here is how I see your writings for numbers in SignWriting...See
attached...I wonder if just one handshape with a dot would be enough,
since you might have the Arabic numeral on the other side of the page
layout...? These are shorter writings for quick referral...