Brush-Between Symbol for ESCAPE in ASL

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 23 14:05:16 UTC 2009

Hmm.  You are right on the contact point of the brush, if the rule were to treat it like a touch as close as possible, then the in-between should be at the point of contact with the arrow moving off from that point.  In that context, the brush between two fingers horizontal makes sense, sort of, but then the hand would have to be palm away or toward the reader as the brush is flat.  I prefer vertical strokes for the between sign, because then it is universal no matter which way the fingers are pointed.

Charles

Adam Frost <adam at frostvillage.com> wrote: Hmm... very interesting. I remember when I first wrote, that I felt
that those symbols should rotate. Now that I have gotten used to it,
it just seem weird that they can be rotated like this. So I know
exactly what you are saying, Charles. Val, at first I thought like you
were thinking when you said, "The second one (for me), is stating that
the index finger is brushing between two horizontal fingers." Then
when I looked back at DISAPPEAR , the fingers are horizontal, but it still felt right to have the in-
between vertical while in ESCAPE   the horizontal in-between felt better. I then realized that it was
because of the arrows. It felt like the arrow was taking the brush
symbol with it while leaving the lines that represent the fingers
"behind" adding to the feel that the fingers stay. True, I don't have
the arrow with the contact in DISAPPEAR because I feel that the
contacts should be near the contact and the arrows should have its
beginning at the hand, but that is what it seems to do for me as to
how to have the in-between contacts. Of course, that is just me. ;-)

Adam