SignWriting in Malta

MARIA AZZOPARDI maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Fri Jul 3 21:14:12 UTC 2009

Dear Valerie and everyone,

Malta is so tiny, so for a country so small I guess it's a huge
SignWriting project ;)

I've asked the others to send their biographies too, so you should be
hearing from us all soon - we even took a group photo :))

The title isn't there yet - however just to give you an idea, the
dissertation will be an attempt to use SignWriting to come up with a
standard writing system for LSM - a kind of "alphabet". So it will be
looking at how to use SignWriting for writing/literacy - rather than as a
phonetic transcription. So from the thousands and thousands of symbols of
SignWriting - come up with smaller set that would be enough to write the
language systematically. Additionally I'd like to attempt to standardise
some grammatical rules in writing - i.e. looking at how to write verbal
and nominal inflection systematically. When we write English we know that
-ed is the past tense, and -s is plural. In the same way, I'd like to
attempt to come up with a regular pattern of writing LSM.

I'm glad that gathering all information from countries gives you a better
picture of how much SignWriting is spreading all over the globe :))

Maria