SignWriting Question...from Deaf Church in Michigan

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 4 18:55:35 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 4, 2009

Yes, and this also goes back to what Maria's dissertation is
discussing, about writing Maltese Sign Language...and trying to find a
simpler way of writing signs that could become a standard...There are
different ways to use SignWriting. Some people want to write very very
detailed, and show the exact ending position of a written sign, and
other people would write less detail. So when people say that
SignWriting is either too detailed or not detailed enough, it is not
really SignWriting itself, but the writer's choice. Choosing to only
write the beginning position of the sign is tapping into the fact that
the sign has generally been written with the beginning position only,
in most ASL documents, so an unspoken standard started for the
SignSpelling of "GROUP" that we all started to get used to...but that
is not following the video exactly...but it is following the video in
other ways...such as the use of the three lanes, and the groups moving
forward etc...

So in recent years I started to realize that video transcription can
be handled differently, depending on the purpose of the document...and
if the purpose of the document is to find a more simplified way to
read the signs written in the transcription, without being exactly
detailed as to the signer's personal style, then some writing
conventions can be blended with following the general grammar of each
sentence...

That is what Adam was doing instinctively...the more standard way of
writing GROUP was used, but placed in the grammar and structure of the
sentence...

I realize that it is impossible to realize all this, if you haven't
viewed the video, and if one is not familiar with other written ASL
documents ...but that is probably how standard spellings in other
spoken languages evolved too..through a gradual step by step
acceptance of certain writing conventions...then school rooms started
teaching those conventions and that is why we spell a certain way
today...

...and the issue, Cherie, of not being able to view the video, was the
same for me, but Adam's pictures helped a lot!

Val ;-)