Question about tilting or rocking

Thu Jul 9 15:58:53 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 9, 2009

Hello Ingvild!
I am sorry I did not explain these symbols better...

Although it is possible to keep the head in one place while the
shoulders tilt, or even have the head moving in the opposite direction
to the movement of the upper body, that is not what I meant at
all...that is not what these symbols mean.

The head goes along with the rocking or tilting motion...

When we place the symbols on top of the head, they are referring to
the entire body (the entire spine including the head) doing a weight
shift or rocking to one side and the the other. It is a larger rocking
motion that includes the entire spine....so if you were standing up,
the entire body might shift its weight a little to one side or the
other, and if you are sitting down, then the rocking comes from the
hips or your seat...It is not writing head motion only...it is a whole-
spine rocking...and unless otherwise stated, the head is going along
with the spine...that was the way these symbols were defined some 20
years ago...

But when the tilting or rocking motion is placed near the shoulders,
it is a smaller rocking that does not involve the entire spine but
only the upper half of the spine from the waist up...and the head I
would assume, follows along in the direction of the rocking...we are
not talking about the head...it is coming along for the ride...

Now it is very possible physically to have the head move in one
direction while the shoulders rock in the other direction, but that
would require adding the symbols for the head that show that
motion, ...The reader would need to know that the shoulders are going
one way and the head is lead by the ear in the opposite
direction...but unless you are writing dancing or mime that would
rarely be needed in SignWriting...the Tilting Symbols are showing
weight shifts from the whole spine or the upper spine...

Val ;-)