Body, Torso, Shoulders, Tilting, Bending

Thu Jul 9 21:31:31 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 9, 2008

I am very happy we are discussing this. It is good to document all this.

I can try to take a video of myself doing it, but I am not sure you
will be able to see it well

I think the easiest way to see these, Adam, is the words "small and
large".

When the symbols are near the shoulders, we are doing very small
rocking...we are only "pushing the shoulders over"..it  is the ribcage
moving over a little...

When we put the symbols on the head, we are saying that the whole body
goes over...not just the shoulders

Mime artists do this differentiation all the time. They isolate a part
of the body, and only move that one part, and not letting any other
part move.

Are you saying that you want bending along with the rocking? If so,
then that can be written...see attached diagram below....