Information about SingWritting grammar

Sat Jul 11 15:40:36 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 11, 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Reynaldo Luevano wrote:
> My Tesis topic is about improving a web plugin that translates
>  webpages into signwritting (using SWML  and SVG), adding the
> grammar functionality.
>  (this plugin was developed by Dr. Rubén González Crespo)
> I would like to know if there is any book,  I should read or when
>  can I find the information I need
>  Thank you very much
>  Reynaldo Emmanuel  Luévano Reyna

Hello Reynaldo!
Thank you again for your question, and I am happy to help you. Steve
Slevinski, the developer of the SignWriting Image Server (SWIS),
Binary SignWriting (BSW) and SignPuddle servers, is on vacation right
now, and will be back in about a week, but I and others should be able
to give you information to get started.

First, I am guessing that Dr. Ruben Crespo's plugin was based on an
older SignWriting symbolset, probably from 2004? That symbolset was
called the IMWA 2004.

But today, modern SignWriting software is based on the International
SignWriting Alphabet 2008 (ISWA 2008). So that is the first thing to
focus on...If you want your plugin to work with, or coordinate with,
other software developed around the world, you will need to update to
the ISWA 2008. It is not in SVG at the moment...it is in PNG format,
but you can download the ISWA and we also have documentation.

Here are web pages to visit:

ISWA Symbol Download
Click on number 11 to download the entire ISWA in one folder
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ISWA/downloads.html

Conversion Program from old IMWA to new ISWA symbols
Click on number 13 to visit, and to download
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ISWA/downloads.html

and on that same web page, number 14 directs you to SWIS, the
SignWriting Image Server

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages