SignPuddle Brackets

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 23 20:28:54 UTC 2009

You may want to look at what I did in the SW literature section.  In transcribing the LeClerc video, several facial expressions and handshapes carried over whole phrases.  I set them in place and then changed them only in the place they were included in the next sign.  The head nods and changes in face became grammar markers.

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle1.5/latest.php?total=9

Charles

--- On Thu, 7/23/09, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
Subject: Re: [sw-l] SignPuddle Brackets
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Date: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 12:00 PM

SignWriting List
July 23, 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Stephen Jones wrote:
> I am currently doing phrases that require facial expression to be attributed to a whole phrase. As I was looking through SignPuddle I could not find the brackets I used to use for that. Are they there and I just missed them or where they removed? Thanks, Stephen Jones

Hi Stephen!
Thanks for this question. The brackets can definitely be written in the ISWA 2008 symbolset, which is what we are using in SignPuddle Online, but there are no specific symbols for those brackets any longer. I did that very much on purpose, since they are rarely used for everyday writing of SignWriting Literature now...and I know they can be constructed when needed...for linguistic research, and so forth...

The brackets were symbols we used in the 1970's in Sutton DanceWriting, and they became an active part of the International Movement Writing Alphabet, for writing sports, dance and all body movement. And they certainly are used for Sign Language Research, to show the fact that one symbol, such as a facial expression, can influence a whole bunch of signs to follow...and I know that some continue to use them to this day...

We use them rarely to write ASL Literature and video transcription and storytelling, because we write the same thing in a different way...so there are several ways to write that issue...

But...that is neither here nor there...let me show you how I would construct the brackets in the next message...a diagram is coming -

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help