Val's Dad is becoming a published songwriter at age 87....

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Jul 1 14:41:44 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 1st, 2009

Hello Tini!
Thank you for this report...I am glad to hear that all is going so
well for you and Henk in Canada...

Our SW List members may not realize that we met back in the 1970's, in
Copenhagen, Denmark, as dancers...another lifetime ago...

Then years later, Tini took correspondence courses in DanceWriting
with some of our trained DanceWriting teachers at the Boston
Conservatory of Music at the end of the 1970's,  and really worked
hard at it...and has taught dance and DanceWriting both, for so many
years...it is impressive to realize that you are still teaching
dance ...you must be very fit and I wish I could take class (dance
class) with you...it would be good for me rather than sitting at this
computer all the time - ha!

And then a few years ago, around 2001, Tini started teaching American
Sign Language to hearing students, and they loved it! And Tini helped
them learn SignWriting, and Tini's students corresponded in
SignWriting with other students around the world...

And didn't you write a children's story in SignWriting, Tini? I have
something to tell you about that later...I really love that writing
you did and we will be publishing it with permission from Ann
Cunningham, and also from you of course...we may need to update the
writing a little so we can talk about that later...

On Jun 30, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Tini Pel wrote:

> I am still teaching and also teaching the basic dance writing to our
> 11 year and over students, so they  can study the syllabus at home
> for their ballet exams. We just finished our end of the year
> performance.

Congratulations! I really enjoyed viewing your videos of your
student's performances that you sent me...Your work has a lasting
legacy...

> I have not done much sign writing as I do not have a class anymore,
> sad to say !!!. The group I was working with are all now in high
> school and some have moved away.  The children are so much into
> sports orientated activities, no more time for ASL.

Yes...that is true with lots of SignWriting projects...they start and
then the students use it and then they move on in their lives...they
grow up! And the question for a good research project could be to
study how or if SignWriting is used in their lives as adults...

New projects are starting again with young children...so there is
always a new generation popping up, which is encouraging...

> Henk and I just finished "meet the artists" Artists coming together
> ones a year and show their winterworks and next week we have the
> International Lace Camp where lace makers are coming from Europe,
> the States and all over Canada to share their knowledge with each
> other for  a week. Absolutely fantastic.

Lace Makers? Wow - that is exciting...

> I keep up with the news about Sign Writing  and would like to write
> in the, to me the new system., but haven't dared yet although Stefan
> I know will help me with it.  It is spending the time on learning.
> Ones in a while I go back to my Dos program which I am familiar with
> to work on the translation of my last poem. One of these days I will
> get it finished and I will ask Stefan to help me to send it over.

The new software, called SignPuddle Online, is different, but it is
not that hard once you get used to it...in fact for some people it
seems easier...it depends on the person of course...but I truly
understand how you feel...learning to use the computer one way, and
then having to learn a totally new way, can be a little daunting...but
I am so happy to know Stefan is helping you...You couldn't have a
better teacher ;-))

> You are tremendous Valerie. You have enriched our lives so much with
> your work. I can't thank you enough, including Steve and others who
> have been able to make it computer friendly.

it is our pleasure...thank you for saying that and thanks to Steve for
all his hard work on the development of SignPuddle, the SignWriting
Image Server (SWIS) and Binary SignWriting (BSW)...we use them daily!

> May you have a wonderful summer, regards from Henk who was very
> happy to be remembered.
>
> Always yours,
>
> Tini.

Thank you, Tini and Henk - and a happy summer to you too!

Val ;-)