SignWriting Question...from Deaf Church in Michigan

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jul 2 21:25:37 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 2, 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Cherie Wren wrote:
> You wouldn't really sign it that way.  If I am signing "we offer 6
> classes in various locations all over," I would still only repeat
> the sign CLASS 3 times, max.  When I get into details about what the
> 6 locations are, I still wouldn't sign class with 6 repetitions in a
> row....  Is this an artistic thingie?  Or is there some other weird
> non-linguistic reason to be signing it that way?
> Given that there is a reason for doing this (I'll assume... ;-) I
> would sign the repetitions in an arc, like you show with three reps
> in one of your attached pics.
> cherie

-----

Hi Cherie -
When I was asked the question, that was my immediate reaction..."was
this really necessary to really sign six different times or 12
different times?", but they are transcribing the Bible from a video
made by Deaf Missions, and I believe they must have signed it that way
on the video....so assuming we have to write it 6 or 12 times, the
question is, how best to do that?...thanks for your input about the
repetitions in an arc...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help