SignPuddle Brackets

Thu Jul 23 19:23:22 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
July 23, 2009

Hi Stephen -
Thanks for this message...

On Jul 23, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Stephen Jones wrote:
> I have not been able to transfer everything we are getting to
> SignPuddle yet. We do what are called elicitation sessions and have
> to write what we elicit into a Data Notebook by hand during the
> session with the Language Consultant. It is a requirement of the
> class to write it at the time we "hear" it. So, I currently have not
> put sentences into sign puddle, but they are all in my Data Note
> Book for Paraguay Signs.

What an interesting project! So you are writing SignWriting by hand
then...As you know, years ago, in the 1980's we had a success with
using our old SignWriting Shorthand system for classroom notetaking in
ASL, at CSUN for a Deaf student and it was an exciting time, with new
ideas being applied to real classroom settings....writing sign
language at speed of signing, and then re-writing the notes taken so
quickly, into more formal SignWriting for the student to be able to
read at home...then SignWriting evolved into expressive and vertical
writing and the Shorthand fell out of date, and it still has to be
updated to match the way we write today, but I am confident that we
can someday start using the Shorthand again as a form of daily
personal handwriting, that might be useful for your kind of work...

For those on the List that are new to all this, there is a section on
SignWriting Handwriting and Shorthand on the web, in the lessons
section:

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/cursive/

> I am also teaching Sign Language Phonetics and this is where I was
> trying to get the brackets. What I do is make the sentences in Sign
> Text then e-mail them to myself without saving, because the
> sentences are from videos of Thai sign, African sign, Spanish sign,
> etc. I also rely on the load signs into sign text after e-mailing
> heavily if I need to change something. I did not want to save all
> these in the ASL Puddle, so I just have not been saving them. I also
> use Sign Puddle to make the dictation tests, which just has about 7
> random signs from various languages, so it is not really a story or
> necessarily ASL and thus I do not save them.

> In short I was trying to do the brackets in Sign Text.

Wow. Well, first I am glad to know you are so skilled with computers
and SignPuddle software...and that you know SignText! Your work sounds
fascinating ;-)

Regarding the use of brackets, they do well in horizontal
writing...that is where they really originated. Then when we started
writing vertically, they posed a bit of a problem, but if we were
doing a graphics file, like the attached one, where I literally went
into Photoshop and added the bracket in grey, then obviously we could
use the brackets going down in vertical columns...but that was not
using SignText.... (continued next message)...