SignWriting in Universities/Institutions

Mon Jun 8 15:21:58 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
June 8, 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:20 AM, MARIA AZZOPARDI wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of/ or know of any Universities/Institutions
> across the globe, where SignWriting has been adopted either in
> research
> related to sign linguistics (where signwriting is used for
> transcriptions
> of data; compiltations of dictinaries etc), or in research related to
> Education - where SignWriting has been adopted as a tool in the
> Education
> for the Deaf? Many thanks, Maria

Hello Maria and Everyone!

Years ago, I made the kind of listing you mention...and placed the
listing on the web...but then overtime, the listing became out of
date, so I need to create a new current listing for you...

I can create a listing that shows the dates that it was used, but here
is the REAL problem...I don't know who is using SignWriting around the
world!

There are literally hundreds of groups as far as I can guess, judging
by my experiences...and most people do not join the SignWriting List,
nor do they inform me personally, which is perfectly fine! No one is
required to inform me or anyone else, since SignWriting is free to use
all over the world...

So how do I know about any group using SignWriting? Some, like you, do
participate with our List and with me...but other times, I bump into a
SignWriting project that I did not know about, on the internet, or
someone tells me later about their work with a group...it is an
amazing feeling to realize that it is spreading like that...thank
goodness.

Once I met a teacher of the Deaf who said she used SignWriting a
little in her classroom, and the teacher sort of put down their usage,
like it wasn't important...she then proceeds to show me
piles....literally hundreds of hand written pages of SignWriting
documents written by her students...it was amazing and wonderful...But
she would not give me permission to let me use her name or to make
copies of her students' writing...so I would not be allowed to list
her classroom on the internet...so getting permission to make such a
list is also a problem for me sometimes...

So the problem is that I am not sure which current research groups are
using SignWriting, but over the week here I will try to create a
little list for you...

If there are groups here on the List that use SignWriting like Maria
describes above, please tell us!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignPuddle
Create SignWriting Documents Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

3. SignBank
SignWriting Desktop Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

4. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

5. SignWriting Literature Project
Writing Literature in Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org/literature

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting