Handshapes and systematic discussion

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 2 14:15:29 UTC 2009

Steve, this reply answers a lot of questions in a very positive way.  The fact that release notes are included makes all the difference in the world.  Any system has its points of discussion, letting people know that there is flexibility allows for teachers to make choices.

Without that proviso it feels as it if it fixed in stone, not a flexible system that has its very positive system and sometimes confusing small points.  This mirror reflection discussion is a point of reference that means that the symbol one wants is there, just not in an expected place, and that can be worked around.

Charles

--- On Tue, 6/2/09, Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:

From: Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net>
Subject: Re: [sw-l] RE: Handshapes and systematic discussion
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 9:30 AM

Hi Charles,

Charles Butler wrote:

        As we start getting photographs being laid side by side
with the graphics that have been created, I think we are going to come
to a MUCH BETTER consensus discussion and if that means that the ISWA
has to be edited, then so much the better.  All of us can be consulted
and come to a happy decision.

If you want to start making notes for the ISWA 2012, please go ahead.
Valerie and Adam are documenting the ISWA 2008 so you'll be getting
more and more information to work with.

The ISWA 2008 will not be changing.  I highly doubt the ISWA will be
revisited in the near future.  We have limited time and resources and
we are moving forward.  Your attitude reinforces the idea that we are
not ready for Unicode yet unless people accept the idea that no writing
system is perfect and that knowledge can be gained by understanding the
imperfections.

The ISWA 2008 was a labor of love.  We already had a formal review and
that review ended last year.  The ISWA 2008 is the current standard for
SignWriting.

Regards,

-Steve

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----