AW: AW: [sw-l] Namibia handshape construction

Tue Jun 2 18:10:42 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
June 2, 2009

You are very welcome, Stefan!

And congratulations and thank you to you too, for all your hard work
in SignPuddle!! You have soooo many documents and dictionary entries!
It is very impressive!

And when you are using SignPuddle everyday, it is because of Steve
Slevinski's fabulous software development, and also my hard work
too...all the symbols that you are using in SignPuddle
everyday...those symbols...are there because Steve Slevinski asked me
to finalize the symbolset for the next few years so that we could have
some stable software...and I really worked long hours on the
symbolset, called the ISWA 2008...and then Steve did a huge job to
install those symbols into SignPuddle...so for at least for the next
few years, the software can grow and become used all over the internet
in a stable way...

Meanwhile we all know that there will always be a need for new
symbols, new textbooks, new ways of looking at writing...but without
Steve's amazing use of the current ISWA 2008 we would have nothing to
write with on the internet...and it is the internet connection that is
making all this collaboration for us possible...

The symbols of SignWriter DOS were wonderful too...I worked hard on
that symbolset too...but computers were different then, and we could
not communicate on the internet with SignWriter DOS like we can with
SignPuddle...so the symbolset grew more sophisticated and we have a
huge amount of choices in the ISWA 2008...every flop and mirror are
there for you to experiment with and enjoy....

How we teach those choices, and what our choices are, may vary of
course!

Regarding the teaching of the symbols, if I were writing your
handshape for Namibia from the Flat Hand as a base, instead of from
the Angle Base, then the thumb would be where you want it to be...so
that is another idea entirely and someday we can talk about
that...Angle Hands and Flat Hands have two different thumb
issues...and it makes me smile, because the fact that our detailed
discussions are centering around THUMBS...smile...if that is our only
problem then I think as a writing system we are doing fine!

We can call it "Thumb-Writing Conventions" - ha!  A future venue of
discussion...and enjoy every minute of the analysis together...it is
so nice to have people to talk to with like interests ;-)

Right now, Adam and I need to finish just documenting the current ISWA
2008 symbols...

2012 is too far away right now ...we still need to document 2008 ;-))

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Val ;-)