AW: [sw-l] writing body and head motions with repetition

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 4 19:29:54 UTC 2009

How to show that the eyes move left and right but the head does not.  If you look at the roadrunner cartoons, the eyes go every which way and the head stays straight forward, like a ballet dancer.  The head trembles in place.

Charles

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:24:54 AM
Subject: Re: AW: [sw-l] writing body and head motions with repetition

SignWriting List
March 4, 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Natasha Escalada-Westland wrote:
> while the eyes shift left and right....

OK. Eye shifting...I would assume you mean that they look left and right...In your original writing of the sign, you showed the left eye moving left, while the right eye moved right...I know you didn't mean that...but obviously physically that is impossible...so the eye movement for the right and left eyes has to go in the same direction at all times...most of the time you can do this in one circle for the head, but if you cannot fit in all the arrows you want, you can place two head circles side by side to show the changing facial expression...however, in this case, I think it is enough to write the eyes going to one side and then the other without worrying about the third and fourth eyegazes...we can't fit four times into one facial circle but we can fit in looking left and right once...

Here is how I would write this...Both eyes have to go in the same direction at the same time, because except for a few rare mime artists, it is physically impossible to do otherwise!

This attached diagram shows the eyes moving together to the left and then the right...and I feel it is clear that this happens while the head moves left and then right...