movement

Sat Mar 7 07:26:58 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
March 6, 2009

On Mar 6, 2009, at 6:30 AM, iroald at hotmail.com wrote:
> How would you write the movement of the hand in this sign? The elbow
> may stay in touch with the side of the body at all times, the hand
> just arches down from the ear to forward. The sign is the neutral
> question "Are you deaf?".
> I know I could choose one of the slanting-down-forward arrows, but
> it does not feel right - too elaborate in a way.
> It is also possible to let the sign stay as it is, it should be
> perfectly legible, but then again it would not seem to be just one
> sign, would it? Ingvild

Hello Ingvild and everyone -
Thanks for this question. I agree that a movement arrow is not needed.
Is this really one sign? It sounds like it is more like a compound
sign...a combination of DEAF and YOU...

Anyway, I think the ear symbol is needed in the second position too,
to show that the second hand position, which is pointing forward, is
still near the ear...Even if the second hand is not near the ear, I
think the ear should be on the second head because it feels like there
is still a relationship with it and it looks funny when it
disappears...at least for me...If you see this as one sign, then the
two positions might be a little closer to each other too...See
attached diagram. What do you think?