AW: [sw-l] movement in LIQUID

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Mar 9 03:29:59 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
March 8, 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> What I am interested in is to proof that MovementWriting allows us to
> describe even this kind of complex movement - and if so I would not
> mind to
> look at a sequence of 4 or 8 signs that will indicate the different
> "stills"
> that can be seen during the whole movement.

Hello Stefan!
I would feel very honored, if you would apply your Movement Writing
skills, or your SignWriting skills, to writing this movement for us,
from your perspective. How would you write this movement, based on the
frames you see in these photos? (see attached below)

I know you are very busy teaching, but when you have time it would be
wonderful to see your writing, not because we need to prove anything
to anyone, but because it will be good for the writing system to get
your input...I think all of the attempts so far, have highlighted
different aspects of the movement, but no one decision or final
writing has been established so far, and I think that is good, to keep
discussing it from different perspectives. One thing that I have
learned over 35 years is that people look at the same movement and see
different things, and choose to write different things, so "writing
what you see" and also "writing what you feel intuitively" is as
complex as the human brain is...

The reason that SignWriting and Movement Writing have been used these
35 years is because we have remained flexible and open to these kinds
of discussions and new ideas...that is how SignWriting slowly went
from Receptive to Expressive, and from horizontal to vertical, and so
many other developments that happened one by one, step by step,
through contact with writers and an openness to suggestions...

And the goals of SignWriting and Movement Writing are somewhat
different...In SignWriting, it is my hope anyway, that we can find a
way to write sign languages on a daily basis that is detailed enough
to make it possible to read every sign, but simple enough to make
reading fun and easy...that is a hard balance to find, where Movement
Writing, which is mostly for research, can be very very detailed...but
that is also why it is not used on a daily basis...

So if you wish to write it from a Movement Writing perspective, or a
SignWriting perspective...both are very welcome and will give us much
to discuss and think about!

Many thanks for your nice message -

See attached...