spelling repeated movement

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Mar 29 14:45:17 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
March 29, 2009

Hello Stefan! and everyone...
Thank you for this message, and wow! it is so impressive to see how
many signs you have added to the German SignPuddle Dictionary:

German Sign Language Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=8&sgn=53

I see there are 8510 entries in your dictionary! You have been working
hard! Congratulations...

Your question is a good one and has actually been discussed before
here on the List. Years ago...back in the 1980's, we tried this idea
of the repeated arrowheads and writing that way is fine and I love
it...but...people did not always read it the way I expected...so let
me try to explain how some people would do that motion...

Instead of going back to the beginning of the first arrow three times,
they would do the first movement, and then they would move a tiny bit
more forward the second time, and a tiny bit more forward again the
third time...They would never return to the beginning position each
time...I was disappointed myself to see how that was read...so I
learned something from that...the three arrowheads have to become like
"one symbol" literally written on top of each other like this...see my
example attached...I put this in your German SignPuddle dictionary
under "test Val"...which you are welcome to delete! here it is: