New Jersey School for the Deaf 5th graders will learn SignWriting

Tue Mar 10 20:46:53 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
March 10, 2009

Thank you, Carl, for this message. It is great to hear from you...

Yes, I am pretty excited about a new school for the Deaf in the US
learning SignWriting...as you know, Cherie Wren has introduced
SignWriting briefly at the Georgia School for the Deaf, and the
SignWriting Literacy Project was used for around 5 years in the
Albuquerque Public Schools for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing programs
there...but this is the first time in New Jersey, and what I find
great, is the fact that the Marie Katzenbach School for the Deaf in
Trenton is the old alma mater of Lucinda O'Grady Batch, our Deaf ASL
teacher on the Lessons in SignWriting Video Series...so that is fun
for all of us...including the Deaf students, who will have a good role
model to look up to, in Lucinda on the videos and dvds and her photos
are also throughout our textbooks...

SignWriting is also taught in other schools, in Quebec, and Germany
and Belgium and Brazil, and yes, of course Nicaragua...

And how are you Carl? And where are you located in the US?

Cherie will be teaching SignWriting in a workshop on the Cat in the
Hat in Birmingham, Alabama, at the end of March...27th and 28th I
believe...

Val ;-)

-------