Let me introduce myself...

Sharon svalentino at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 23 16:30:03 UTC 2009

Dear Val,
It is wonderful to hear from you again. I am so excited about your program and your board.

Yes. We sign in ASL here although Nigerian's are a little more "English" in their signing so they use more signs but we understand each other without any problem. That was really a concern of mine before I came here because when I met my first deaf person here I didn't know if we would understand one another but we did.

I believe that NTSC will work. Most of the equipment here allows us to play U.S. DVDs and if it will work on my laptop or a computer then it is perfect because that is what I will be using most of the time for things like that in training.

I'm going to email you a copy of a little newsletter that I put out to give you a better idea about what is happening here.

I really appreciate all that you are doing and I know that God is going to bless you for your help.

Take care,
Sharon

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 9:39:40 AM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] Let me introduce myself...

SignWriting List
March 20, 2009

Hello Sharon!
I join Maria, to welcome you to the SignWriting List!

Thank you for posting your message and describing your wonderful work with Deaf people in Nigeria. Maria asks a good question...Do you use ASL with your Deaf friends in Nigeria? The materials I can donate to your group are written in American Sign Language (ASL). And can you view dvds or videos? in PAL or NTSC format?

I would like to ask a favor...If I send you a box of books and materials, can you share the materials with the local schools for the Deaf, which you mention in your message? We would like to reach Deaf Education as much as possible...

And for your information right now while you are waiting for your materials....if you can access the web...you can learn SignWriting on the web, use our software SignPuddle on the web, and also read and download Bible passages written in ASL...

Lessons in SignWriting
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/

SignPuddle Dictionary for Nigeria
Write Signs from Nigeria
(ready for you to add new signs)
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=32

Download Documents
http://www.signwriting.org/library/

Thanks for sharing with us and please write back here on the List about the dvd formats in Nigeria...and the schools for the Deaf there...

Val ;-)