Malawi site

Wed May 13 16:00:33 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
May 13, 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Carol Nussbaumer wrote:
> Val – thanks so much for getting the Malawi area added to your
> site.  I will not be doing much until after June 1 as we are leaving
> for Elderhostel Friday morning --- then the National Park volunteer
> madness begins along with a visit from an elderly aunt.  But in
> June….!
> I love the Malawi flag, too.  It speaks of hope, which is so needed
> in that country.
> Have a good day,
> Carol

--------

Hi Carol, Kelly Jo and Stefan!

Thank you for this message today, Carol. We truly look forward to
working with you in June. Enjoy your travels in May!

So write again, when you are ready to work writing Malawian signs...

Did you see the message below from Stefan? Thank you, Stefan for the
beautiful card!

Stefan is a teacher of deaf children in Osnabruck, Germany. You can
visit his web site, which has many photos of his deaf students
learning and using SignWriting, and also information about Stefan's
invention, Woehrmann's SpeechWriting:

Gebaerdenschrift Site (SignWriting Site):
http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/
http://www.signwriting.org/germany

and Stefan, thanks for your questions in your message below...Carol
told me on the phone yesterday that the deaf children in Malawi came
to their school with no "official" sign language, and the school
started as an oral school, but now the teachers are open to the idea
of using sign language, and the kids have started to communicate with
each other in their own signs, and slowly it appears that a naturally
evolved sign language is emerging...a little like the story in
Nicaragua and other places, at least that is what I understand...Carol
can explain this much better...anyway, I think it is exciting to write
these signs for the first time ;-))

Val ;-)

-------