AW: [sw-l] How to write these Portuguese Colors

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 3 18:33:00 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
November 3, 2009

On Nov 3, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
> Hi Adam and everyone,
> If the writer uses two separate heads for one sign in the SignText,
> the reader assumes that there are two different signs, not only one
> sign precisely because of the two separate heads.  It is easier to
> read two separate heads for one sign in the  SignPuddle dictionary
> than in the SignText.

Thank you, Andre, for this message, and I will let Adam answer you on
the other issues...

Regarding the issue of dictionary entries and SignText entries, which
you mention above...

I think what you are really saying is that when we write full
sentences in SignWriting, and the reader is reading down the column,
that maybe the reader might think that the two-headed sign is really
two separate signs...

That is why I mentioned that the two heads need to be closer together
in the one sign...without so much space between them...so the reader
knows they are ONE sign and not two...it can be done...there is a
technique to it...

Of course there are many ways to write and some people do not write
with two heads as much as i do possibly - ha!

Let me show you an example of a two-headed sign...

The sign for Facial Expression in ASL is a little like a compound
sign, and the two heads are written close together. If these were two
separate signs, there would be more space between the heads: