common criticisms of signwriting?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 8 14:05:18 UTC 2009

I honestly think that your comment about the invention as opposed to the use has been the case.  When I talk about SSW in the U.S., if they ask "was this created by the Deaf or the Hearing", I say "neither--it was created by a dancer".  That moves it to being created by a human who uses their body for communication.

In Brazil, the strongest advocates have been the Deaf, and then professors in larger universities getting behind the system, but the tireless work of a deaf woman -- Marianne Stumpf -- all over Brazil starting in an elementary school in Porto Alegre, and now a professor at the University of Santa Catarina at Florianopolis must be included.  She, Ronice Quadros, who brought TISLR to Brazil in 2005, Fernando Capovilla at the University of Sao Paulo, and Professor Rocha Costa at the Catholic Universities of Pelotas and the Catholic University of Porto Alegre are astonishing.  I was privileged to a part of the SignNet project in Porto Alegre and in Pelotas in 2001 and to work at the TISLR in 2005.  I hope to rejoin the overall work as a tutor in some capacity next Fall.   I don't know where I'll end up.

Charles Butler Neto

________________________________
From: Natasha Escalada-Westland <shash90 at hotmail.com>
To: SignWriting Listserve <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Sun, November 8, 2009 6:54:25 AM
Subject: RE: [sw-l] common criticisms of signwriting?

 I wonder, what tipped the scales and convinced the Deaf in Brazil that SSW was an important and useful writing system?  I'd like to know the history of that situation more deeply and how perhaps it could influence the progress of SignWriting here in the U.S.

I'm convinced that SignWriting, as I use it to teach ASL classes to hearing people has been truly beneficial, especially in pronunciation of signs and as a recall aid, but I am also very interested in its benifits to Deaf students as I'm a teacher of the Deaf as well.  It looks like there is some pretty hefty research backing SSW and its use with Deaf students in Brazil.

There seems to be a basic underlying paranoia of a system invented by a hearing person, at least in the U.S.  This type of polar opposition, based on the origin of the system, as opposed to its merits, may be particularly strong here in America.

Natasha Escalada-Westland, M.Ed. (D/HH), Certified Interpreter - NIC