AW: AW: [sw-l] Vatican requested 10 SignWriting books...Gospel John in ASL

Gagnon et Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Mon Nov 16 17:01:32 UTC 2009

Hi Val, Stefan and everyone,

    Val, I would like to see a poem in Spanish Sign Language.  If you have a
document, please send it to the list.

    Best regards,

    André.
----- Original Message -----
From: "SignWriting" <signwriting at mac.com>
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [sw-l] Vatican requested 10 SignWriting books...Gospel
John in ASL

> This is a very beautiful document, Stefan!

Thank you for sharing this with us...I am not sure how to get this to
the right people at the Vatican...I will write to Maria to ask her...

And I want you to know that I think writing from left to right, in the
old way we used to do it, before Deaf people requested writing in
vertical columns, is fine! You have done a beautiful job with this
document, written from left to right...and I love it!

You mentioned to me that you still write from left to right, and that
is fine...

I was only trying to explain why we are creating software in
SignPuddle to write in vertical columns with lanes...because Deaf
native signers who were skilled at writing SignWriting from left to
right, requested that we change to writing in vertical columns. It was
a big change for me too....and at first almost all the hearing people
complained, but it has worked miracles with understanding for readers
to read lanes in vertical columns, and that is why i am thankful and
grateful to our Deaf friends for making this clear to me...no one is
trying to force anyone to do anything, but when I personally create
documents, they will be in vertical columns for a reason, because it
was requested from members of the Deaf Community...

Meanwhile, go right ahead, everyone, and write in any direction that
feels good for you...just remember the reason why we are writing in
vertical columns...it was a request from the users who are native to
sign languages...

I can easily read from left to right too...I have also seen documents
written in circles...really! - it was a poem in Spanish Sign
Language...so all directions of writing are easily read...

Val ;-)

-----