common criticisms of signwriting?

Kimberley Shaw skifoot at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 23 15:49:17 UTC 2009

Hello Trevor:
     you have valid points ... but maybe I wasn't 100 percent clear
about my own point of view.
     My Deaf friends and I may be unusually biased in favor of the
written word. One of these friends is a published poet, and the other
one is an absolute bookworm. I am myself a librarian, and as a born
hard-of-hearing person, have always found newspapers and books to be
much more reliable ways to be informed than the frustrations of not
quite getting all the info from TV and radio. So, maybe we're all
three of us a little immune to 21st-century Fox-style celebrity
culture! Except of course for when Marlee Matlin's on a certain dance
show and we're all blogging about it and gathering around the computer
to watch the after-broadcast version of her episodes...
   In talking about being text-centered, I was actually thinking more
in terms of languages (like some Native ones) which have never been
written down, versus European and Asian languages which have been
written down for a very long time.
     So, I still wonder about my friends' contradictory responses.
Best,
Kim from Boston

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help