How to write verbal inflection systematically

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 13 13:58:12 UTC 2009

For touching the body, one uses a contact star, for touching a point in space, one uses a tension marker.
Touching a point in space is usually shown by showing a tension marker to show that the sign stops at a fixed point in space.

I think that this will carry your verbal morphology pretty easily.  This shows both a single hand and two hands stopping at a point in space.

The tension marker

Example 1) His (below), the short arrow moves and the abrupt stop in space is shown by the tension marker.

Example 2) Clock (below).  The two hands mark an object in space.  The placement in space uses a tension marker.

The tension marker can be used if one feels that one must show the abrupt stop of the sign.  Else the length of an arrow usually shows the approximate location.

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less006.html

Here is you (formal) with the hand pointing forward, using only a tension marker to indicate location in space.  This formal sign uses the left hand to form "you" and the right hand to indicate the "person" being honored.

you formal you respectfully

Here is you (several of you) in front of the reader.

you plural (right)
they (right), you all
Sign: Reader
Source: Valerie Sutton