Updating graphics only and other signs

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 14 14:00:32 UTC 2009

I've been trying to go through and update signs that I find as "graphics only" in both the LIBRAS and ASL dictionaries.  When necessary, I have re-entered the sign, and then put in a full entry when I know the sign along with the spelling.  Sometimes a graphic is not even showing up so that I am not sure what I am looking at.

I am also a little frustrated sometimes when I am clipping signs for a dictionary project and two signs, which look as if they were both updated the same date, one I can easily clip and put into MS Word, the other graphic does not transfer, no matter what I do.

Charles

________________________________
From: Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Sent: Thu, April 7, 2005 11:09:13 AM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] using SignWriting to index Stokoe's dictionary

SignWriting List
April 7, 2005

Hello Everyone, Stuart and Kimberley, and Stephen!
OK. The vote is to leave them in...but just realize that when you want to search for signs by choosing a Sign-Symbol and searching for all the signs with that symbol...that kind of search...can only work on those signs that are not graphics only...So at the moment, searching by going to the Dictionary Editors area, and typing a letter and then searching, gives you a great list of signs to look through...Val ;-)

PS. You are absolutely right about pronounciations being different, but spellings become standardized anyway...that is the way English is too...In Boston some people say BATH like people do in Great Britain, but in other parts of the country they change the A sound, but we don't spell the word BATH any differently just because of the different pronunciation...