common criticisms of signwriting?

Mon Nov 16 14:27:45 UTC 2009

I think this Malawi report proves the point...the Deaf children were
writing within minutes, and analyzing SignSpellings very quickly, and
this is only because of the visual nature of the writing system...that
would not have happened with an abstract writing system...this kind of
success reaching readers quickly did not happen overnight either...
Deaf people have given their input over decades and the hard work of
changing the writing system to meet their requests has been well worth
it...but because the Deaf requests have not been what most hearing
people can imagine (vertical columns with lanes and so forth), of
course it is hard for hearing people to grasp this reaction from Deaf
people...they are in two different worlds...I want to thank Carol for
this report...it is very heartening...

---------

From: "Carol Nussbaumer" <carol at nussbaumers.net>
Date: November 15, 2009 12:06:02 PM PST
To: <Sutton at SignWriting.org>
Subject: Pocket Puddle Thanks

Dear Valerie,
Thanks for the e-mail and Pocket Puddle update!  I may not get a
chance to
work with it for a while but I'm glad to have it.  We had a successful
trip
to Malawi --- back about 2 weeks and almost over jet lag.  I took Pocket
Puddle and SW to the deaf school; we didn't have as much time to work
on it
as I had hoped, but did get it introduced.  The teacher in charge of
computer lab has been able to install it on the school system.  Many
thanks
for it and for the books you donated.  I am attaching a couple of
pictures
of school for you -- one is the staff working on Sign Writing in the
library/staff room.  The man at the end of the table is Mr. Macleod
Hara,
headmaster at school and a good friend.  The other picture is Standard 3
with their copy of Goldilocks.  It took about 10 seconds for them to
figure
out the sign system....!  Standard 8 (our oldest group) took around 5
minutes to figure out how to write sign and had a blast developing some
Chitumbuka sign.  It was fun watching them go back and forth about which
piece of each sign was exactly right until all 10 of them were happy!
Even
on my tiny netbook screen it worked pretty well.  I'm hopeful that
this is a
start toward getting sign in Malawi "tied down" instead of morphing
every
few days.
Thanks again,
Carol Nussbaumer