common criticisms of signwriting?

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Nov 23 17:06:55 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
November 23, 2009

Kim -
I am happy to know that your Deaf friends are starting to read some of
your writing, Kim...despite their feelings of resistance...

Deaf people have been raised in conflict...on one hand they may use
ASL, but there are subtle messages from society telling them that they
are supposed to know English. All their lives they were told they have
to learn how to read and write English better, and now people are
writing ASL? It goes against everything they have been taught and many
Deaf people are worried that somehow that doesn't fit with our
society, and what is expected of them...so that makes sense that they
would make a disclaimer at the end...because as one Deaf person told
me "I am afraid that hearing people will be angry with me if read and
write ASL"...that was an honest statement from someone who was very
ASL and had trouble reading and writing English, and could read and
write ASL just fine, but was in conflict emotionally...so even if your
friends are not in that situation, it just might be that deep
underneath they were taught that English should be the focus...just a
point...we all are products of our early training...

And your friends could do that, with training, but the question is,
would they take the time to learn? it is harder for adults to learn
something new, but you have, Kim - I think this is a great story!

Anyway - no worries...it is all good!

Have a splendid day!

Val ;-)

---------