Handshapes in the ISWA that are not used in ASL

Tue Nov 24 17:58:45 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
November 24, 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> Hey there Valerie, have you considered pulling in some examples in
> the ISWA from some of the languages other than ASL so that we see
> examples of usage?  I have a handshape used in Jewish worship, the
> extended finger oval shape that is used to hold the kaddish cup.
> I'm not sure which puddle to put it into, as it's not exactly
> Israeli or English, but special religious usage. Charles Butler

Hello Charles!

Although this may not be an Israeli sign from Israeli Sign Language,
nonetheless, you could put it here anyway:

Israeli SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=110

There are 0 signs in there anyway, so it would be great to have a sign
in there! smile...

Regarding special handshapes that are not connected to any one sign
language, why not place it in the:

International Sign Language Puddle?
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=35

I don't know what else to tell you...

And of course about half the handshapes in the ISWA are not used in
ASL...

You can see some Ethiopian handshapes on this web page:

http://www.signwriting.org/ethiopia/ethiopia02.html

This goes on for 7 pages...those are some of the unusual handshapes in
the ISWA that are not used in ASL -