spelling question: streched arm circles

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Oct 24 15:44:24 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
October 24, 2009

Hello Everyone, Stefan, Erika - dear friends!
I am soo looking forward to reading Erika's work, and also answering
this question in further depth, Stefan. Thank you for your patience
with me...I am in the middle of laying out 7 chapters of the Gospel
According to John...in total there are 2100 columns in the entire
document...around 525 pages with four columns to a page...I am working
with around 700 columns right now and I need to finish this all at
once or I will forget what i am doing! So I will come back to the List
as soon as I finish...

But to answer your question briefly, Stefan...If you are writing
SignWriting, the chances of full circles from the shoulder joint, and
not from the elbow joint are rare...in fact I don't believe I have
ever seen that as a part of a real sign in a sign language. That is
why we chose just the elbow and wrist circle symbols for SignWriting...

So your question is in the Movement Writing and DanceWriting area...

And do you really want to know the details of how we write the
difference between shoulder, elbow, wrist and finger circles in
DanceWriting? We have four distinctly-different symbols for each kind
of circle in DanceWriting and Movement Writing...which are explained
in my DanceWriting for Modern and Jazz Dance Textbook from 1978...I
can find those pages and scan them in for you later...

Meanwhile, if you are using this motion for your Deaf students etc,
then perhaps it is not necessary to teach them DanceWriting
symbols...your diagram extending the size of the elbow-related circle
symbol, and then adding the straight arm before or after the motion
could be enough for them to understand, without having to teach new
symbols...so go right ahead and do that method...

Later, when the first 7 chapters of the Gospel According to John are
in a complete book, I will be happy to teach the four circle symbols
in DanceWriting and MovementWriting if you wish...

And Erika, once again, you are not forgotten! Yesterday I had a
conversation on Skype with Jonathan Duncan from Honduras, and he told
me how much he enjoyed your paper and how fascinating it was...so I
know I look forward to really reading your work in detail...

And Stefan - THANK YOU for the writing in SignWriter DOS that you
did ...which you posted in that wonderful page format that Rich
Gleaves designed - that is a beautiful page layout format...and your
writing with all the mouth movements was really impressive ...

Val ;-)

-------