invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Thu Sep 17 14:07:54 UTC 2009

Charles,
I think you're dealing with two different issues here.  On the one hand,
a standard needs to be applied to writing used as a communication tool.
On the other, for linguistic study it has been said on this list to
transcribe what you see.

Since communication is both receptive and expressive, a standard has to
be set and the expressive was chosen as the best standard for everyday
writing.   I'm sure some could argued that receptive would be better.
But then, how would you transcribe signs you make yourself?   You'd have
to mirror-image it if you would be true to the concept of transcribing
what you see.  But you don't, because you are aware of what you are
saying and it can even be written without going through the mechanism of
actually making the sign.  And so, the expressive viewpoint in writing
may actually never be expressed by your hands.  Yet the sign is still
written.

However, if you were doing a linguistic study, there is no expressive
viewpoint.  It's all receptive.  It isn't until you try to turn what is
learned from the study into a communication medium that you have to deal
with expression.  Then it comes full circle to needing to decide on
standards.

Remember, many years ago you argued against me - when I first joined
this list - for putting forth the possibility of writing the palm
portion of hands as ovals instead of squares, as you said that it had
been already standardized as squares.

Everyday writing as a communication medium has already been standardized
on the expressive viewpoint.   ;-)

Bill