invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Mon Sep 21 18:14:22 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 21, 2009

Hello Natasha, and everyone -
Yes. This is a good point. I was answering a specific question about
how to write one or two signs, but it was taken from a much larger
document that was a transcription from a videotape of ASL
storytelling...so you are right that if the ASL is written accurately
before those signs occurred in the document, there would be eye-gaze
and other ASL grammar details that would automatically give the reader
the markers needed to read the ASL, just as the ASL is understood in
person...the "invisible person" would be established with eyegaze and
other factors...

And Ingvild, I agree that this shows the value of writing sign
languages, because we are required to write these grammar details to
make sure the reader knows what is happening...just as individual
words in a spoken language document can be taken out of context, so
can individual signs...we need to read the whole document to know what
is being said...

Thanks for the great discussion!  Val ;-)

-------