Hello from Portugal!

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 11 16:23:20 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 11, 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 4:10 AM, Adam Frost wrote:
>> Well, the workshops (there were more than one!) are now done. All
>> together I would say that there were about 50-60 people, most of
>> which were Deaf. It was great. I have added their sign for Portugal
>> which is nothing like what we have been talking about. But I´m not
>> that surprise about that.
>>
>> It was really interesting to have it go from ASL to LGP as well as
>> Portugese. So all together there were three interpreters(!) I tried
>> to cover as much as I could as well as answer their questions. In
>> fact, the morning group seemed to be curious about your life in
>> general since you were in Denmark, but are an American. So I went
>> to your valeriesutton site and they were even more amazed that you
>> had health issues growing up, but worked to be a dancer. They
>> thought that it was interesting that you pushed through challenges
>> even as they have to. For that they have a lot of respect for you.
>> (Amilcar who is one of the deaf interpreters for me wanted to make
>> sure I remember to tell you that. SMILE)
>> I have told the two groups about the SW list, so I hope that they
>> will post introductions and questions. I know that several of them
>> are afraid of their English, but I told them they can write in
>> Portugese -- or even have a video clip of them signing, but most don
>> ´t have webcams with their computer.
>>
>> Adam

---------

Hello Adam and everyone on the SW List!

What a terrific report...thank you for telling us about your workshops
in Portugal, Adam...

And now you have another presentation on SignWriting on Saturday
(tomorrow) at the SLE Conference in Lisbon:

Societas Linguistica Europaea
http://www.societaslinguistica.eu/
http://www.societaslinguistica.eu/meetings/conference%20lisboa/Lisboa%202009.htm

and then back to the US on Sunday...Busy week...and a nine-hour time
change (California-Portugal)..the entire trip is only 7 days
total...thank you for making this strenuous trip with non-stop
presentations...

The three-way interpreting is fascinating. I have only done that a few
times, and it is a skill to learn how to teach, while in the
background, three interpreters are trying to interpret what you are
saying...Teaching one-on-one is definitely easier....But you had 50 to
60 people total, between the different workshops? Wow...that is a good
number...and most of them Deaf...;-)))

Please thank everyone for their interest in my personal health,
although that is not the point to learning SignWriting (grin). But I
guess everyone's story of overcoming hardships gives us all
inspiration to move forward, even if it is a struggle...I can imagine
the struggle to be Deaf in a hearing world must be very difficult too,
and I feel inspired by Deaf people's heroic life stories too...

I know some Deaf Europeans are happy to know that SignWriting was born
in Denmark...at least that is what some of my European friends have
told me in the past...For them, it is really a European system then,
rather than an American one... I guess it is a little of both, so the
world is becoming more and more global...and SignWriting development
is no exception.

Regarding English and the SignWriting List...no worries...Write in ANY
spoken language or sign language you choose! We can all translate what
you say, and that is not a problem at all...

So all languages are welcome...

And enjoy your presentation at the SLE Conference tomorrow, Adam...

I will pick you up at the airport in San Diego late Sunday -

I look forward to learning more about your trip in person...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

--------

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help