Role Switching in ASL

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 26 13:46:32 UTC 2009

Here is my proposal for TISLR.  Any suggestions to beef it up.
Proposals should include:
1.  A title and description of your proposed session.
2. The amount of time you would like for your session. Each time slot is 1.5 hours, so it would be possible for you to have one or two time slots for your session (1.5 or 3 hours).
3.  A list of confirmed speakers who will present at your session, along with titles and brief descriptions of each talk. You are free to organize the time allotted to your session in the way you think best. We suggest that each talk be allotted 30 minutes— 20 minutes for the talk, followed by 10 minutes of discussion and questions. This means 3 speakers for each 1.5 hour time slot.
TITLE Role Switching in ASL.  Using lanes to show change of person in a transcribed narrative.  1.5 hours.
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS: Charles R. Butler, Neto, Center for Sutton Movement Writing. Presenter at Deaf Way II, registrar at TISLR 9 in Florianapolis, Brazil.  Charles is a certified teacher of Sutton Movement Writing.  He was also a part of the SignNet project in Porto Alegre and Pelotas, Brazil, sponsored by the Catholic University of Pelotas.  He speaks English, Portuguese, and signs ASL and some LIBRAS.  He is currently working on a project comparing LIBRAS to ASL using both Sutton Movement Writing and SignType.
Lucinda Batch??? (If she were attending, I'd love to get Lucinda Batch so that we are presenting her narrative and my transcription together).
BRIEF DESCRIPTION.  Using Sutton Sign Writing, a session examining two biographical narratives on Clerc and L'Epee and their seminal roles in the development of ASL.  As the signer presents, her body posture shifts for not only the persons but the locations of each phase of the narrative.  Using the lane feature of Sutton Sign Writing, a complete narrative can be transcribed which demonstrates non-manual markers such as head nods and change of posture for establishing nominative phrases, change of subject, geographical locations and time switches which are well established features of ASL.  Video narrative and transcribed ASL.  Presentation of each narrative 10 minutes, discussion of transcription 20 minutes, Q&A 15 minutes.