SignWriting List is working again -

Wed Aug 4 18:50:31 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
August 4, 2010

Hello Gerard and everyone -

Thank you for this nice message, Gerard...and thanks to you too, for supporting us in our new efforts to write encyclopedia articles for future Wikipedias, in written sign languages! Talking about an archive, Wikipedias are amazing archives ;-)

As I mentioned recently, Bill Reese saved our SignWriting List Archives...if you go to our SignWriting List homepage:

SignWriting List Homepage

Archives 1 and 2 would have been completely lost, and we would not have Archive 3 at all, if it were not for Bill's efforts.

And thanks also to LinguistList.org today - They were fantastic resolving the problem so quickly, and the month of August is a vacation month for them, so we were lucky...

The Archives are very important for SignWriting history research. There are research projects right now using the Archives as their source for SignWriting history - I therefore will start writing more reports to the List, so we have more historic records - there are so many events in one week about SignWriting used around the world, that I can barely remember all the events myself -

This week I have already met with two SignWriting users in the UK on Skype, regarding the upcoming SignWriting Workshop on August 27th in Southport, and I received the gift of a BINGO game document written in SignWriting which I will post soon, and I finished chapter 1 of the new book I am writing with Adam, called "SignWriting Hand Symbols"... and Adam embedded Michael Everson's Sutton Font for American fingerspelling onto his blog in written ASL so that visitors could actually type in fingerspelling directly on the web, without knowing the symbols themselves - that is the first time I have ever seen one of our fonts embedded in a web site for other users to use...very cool!

Val ;-)

---------