Welcome to a new member from Morocco!

Sat Dec 4 00:48:34 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
December 3, 2010

It will be a pleasure to work with you Meryeme, on any sign language!

Every region of the world has unique sign languages that develop or evolve naturally when groups of Deaf people live and work and go to school together - so sign languages, as you know, are not international or universal. There are some attempts at international signing, for interpreting in meetings and so forth, but real daily languages are naturally evolved sign languages.

ASL is known well around the world, but so are other sign languages, as you already mentioned, such as the sign languages from France and French-Switzerland, Germany, and German Switzerland - there are a long list of sign languages around the world, each with their own unique grammar and structure...and Shane is very international and works with many different sign languages - so I hope you can meet.

There are Tunisian signers writing Tunisian Sign Language in SignWriting now, and programmers from Tunisia as well -

SignWriting in Tunisia
http://www.signwriting.org/tunisia/

I live in California and work with signers from over 40 countries, to write their unique sign languages, on the internet.

Tonight, my father turns 89 years old, so I will be turning off my computer to celebrate his birthday -

So we can continue this discussion tomorrow and next week, when Steve returns to work on Monday.

There are programmers on the List from Honduras - hi Jonathan! and Brazil and other countries, and signers from around the world -

Have a great weekend everyone!

Val ;-)

--------