AW: Happy New Year to the SignWriting List!

Fri Dec 31 15:35:52 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
December 31, 2010

Hello Stefan and everyone!
What wonderful illustrations, Stefan..thank you! And you make a good point that adding the arm line would give more detail as to the palm direction for the circle-hand-symbol...it does depend on who you are writing the card for...and as you say, in this case people will understand the message with a simple writing...

In the past few years here in our organization, we have been creating really large books...as you know the Gospel According to John is over 470 numbered pages, and all of the pages are in written ASL...and through this experience we started trying to write in a more simplified manner, including taking out contact symbols when the sign could be understood without them, and little things, like the arm lines, could be taken out because the finishing position in these signs gives us the "probable information" to be able to read the sign - you are right that without the finishing position, there would be no way to know what the palm direction was on the circle-hand symbol, so then the arm line would be necessary for foreign readers -

It is fun to be discussing SignSpellings - 2011 will be a productive and fascinating year - major accomplishments from all of us - I can just feel the energy and optimism -

Thank you for 2010 everyone - I am looking forward to completing and posting our SignWriting Year End Report for 2010, which will document some of the SignWriting projects around the world...

I will be back on the List on January 2nd...

Happy 2011 everyone!

Val ;-)

--------