QUESTION: How to write the M Handshape in 1-Handed Fingerspelling

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Dec 1 23:17:25 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
December 1, 2010

Hello SW List!

I receive questions through private email regularly. Here is one of them. My answer will use photos by Adam Frost, taken from Adam's animated GIFs on the web: http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/iswa/  (Thank you, Adam ;-)

QUESTION: What is the difference between these two handshapes and which one do we use to write the M handshape? Do we use the first one, and turn it down to show that the fingers are pointing down? Or do we use the second one, and point the fingers down? Our problem is with fingers sticking from the side of the square in the second one (and not from the lower part of it, as would be more natural, since the fingers point down, and not sideways!