signspelling sequence

Wed Feb 10 15:45:09 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
February 10, 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:53 AM, Honza wrote:
> sorry If you explain this already, but I havenĀ“t foud it in recent posts.
> Can you explain me why in SignPuddle is SignSpelling and Sequence?
> Are there any rules for writing Sequence?
> it is important.

Hello Honza!

A SignSpelling is the way a sign is written...the way the sign looks, in a visual cluster, when we read signs.

A SignSpelling Sequence is for computer-sorting of signs in dictionaries. Which handshape starts the sign? Which symbol ends the sign? This is needed because in dictionaries, we look up by Sign-Symbols. There are two important processes needed to sort dictionaries by Sign-Symbols. First, you need to know the sequence of symbols within each sign. Second, those SignSpelling Sequences are then sorted by the SignWriting alphabetical order of symbols in the ISWA, which I call the Sign-Symbol-Sequence.

Here is a small booklet called SignSpelling Guidelines 2008. I actually want to re-write and expand upon this manual. It is based on my experience with sorting around 3000-4000 signs, and printing the listing of the signs sorted by Sign-Symbols, and what i personally found was true when people tried to find a sign in the listing...I know there are many theories on what the SignSpelling Sequence rules should be, and I am open to all of them...this booklet just shows my experience with looking up signs...