SWML site

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 24 12:40:25 UTC 2010

Of course  I thought of the group 30 (the very last one)

I have no example at the moment, and I would certainly not use these symbols in ordinary writing - but it might be that to clearify a spesific point it would not be enough to have the symbol in the spelling sequence - like which hand is where at what time. I am thinking specifically of real Deaf storytelling, where the movements of hands, eyes, brows, head, neck, ... all hangs together to tell the strory. As a tool to analyze this, to make it appear on paper rather than just on video, I think that SignWriting would make a great tool - even if I am not a lingusit myself. The reasons I get from sign linguists for not using SW, is partly that signing is too rich, and therefore cannot be put on paper. But this makes real research hard and the resuls hard to justify - other languages are put to paper and extra symbols are used to show pitch, speed, emphasis, unusuall pronounciation etc, symbols that are not used in the everyday writing of said language (or of any language).

Ingvild

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 06:28:10 -0600
From: slevin at signpuddle.net
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] SWML site

Hi Ingvild,

Do you want to use the sorting symbols in the Spatial SignSpelling
rather than the SignSpelling Sequence?  Can you show an example?

In talking with Val, we agreed that the sorting symbols were for extra
detail in the sequence for sorting and should not be used in the
spelling meant for reading.

We can look at SymbolGroup 30 to help discuss this issue.

http://signbank.org/swis/iswa/60832_sg.html

Regards,

-Steve

Ingvild Roald wrote:

  Hi
Steve,

I am into another project: I will write a paper on how SignWriting can
be used for research. For this I will propose that the sorting symbols
can be used when more detail is needed than would normally be used in
everyday writing. So even if I fully agree that these symbols (group
10) should not be used in normal litterature or in the dictionary
lookup (exept as an addition, to mark a distinction from another,
almost similar sign), they may give linguists needed tools for writing
exactly what is signed, as a basis for analyzing. Do you disagree on
this?

Ingvild