American Sign Language Encyclopedia Project

Thu Feb 4 21:07:35 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
February 4, 2010

Dear SW List Members:

I want to inform you about a new project that our non-profit
organization, the Center for Sutton Movement Writing, will be focusing
on, in this new decade. It is:

American Sign Language Encyclopedia Project
Providing American Sign Language (ASL) users with a full encyclopedia,
written in ASL by ASL authors, written in SignWriting. It will provide
the encyclopedia articles required for the first posting of the ASL
Wikipedia, and will also be printed in book form, and donated to
classrooms with deaf students.

As you know, I write grants requesting funding for a variety of
projects, including:

SignWriting Literature Project
Writing World Literature in the Sign Languages of the World
http://www.signwriting.org/literature

and the

SignWriting Literacy Project
Donating SignWriting Books to Deaf Classrooms
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers

So the ASL Encyclopedia Project is really a part of both of those
projects.

This is of course an ongoing project, since there can always be new
encyclopedia articles added to any encyclopedia. Once the ASL
Wikipedia is posted with the articles we have already written, from
there, newcomers will start writing articles and posting them in the
Wikipedia, so the encyclopedia will grow faster at that point...

Until that day, we will start one article at a time...posting the
articles in SignPuddle Online, and possibly in other places too...not
sure yet,,,

Charles Butler has already written some articles in our ASL SignPuddle
encyclopedia file, so that is a start...Thank you, Charles!

ASL SignPuddle Encyclopedia
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=21

If there is anyone who would enjoy writing articles for the ASL
Encyclopedia Project, and doesn't mind donating their time at this
time, then contact me and I can help you get started...

And if there is anyone who knows of funding avenues for the American
Sign Language Encyclopedia Project, please tell me!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org